Makes around 2 servings.
- 2 tbspns oil (or stock if first 7 days)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large chilli (optional)
- ½ tspn salt
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 250g (1 cup) red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tbspn lime juice
- 750 ml water (or can use vegetable stock if preferred
- Large handful of coriander leaves to serve
Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil or stock. When hot add the onion, garlic, ginger and cumin and gently cook until soft (around 10 minutes). Add the lentils and the water/stock, cover with the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for around 20 minutes until the lentils have dissolved. Add more stock/water if you like a runnier dhal. If too runny cook a further 5 minutes uncovered. Add the salt at the end of cooking, according to taste.
Remove from the heat and stir through the lime juice and top with coriander leaves.
Served above with roasted capsicum (yellow peppers), steamed carrots and spinach.
Categorised: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Main Meal, Vegetarian
Tagged: Shift Workers