A true summer delight, what could be simpler than a Caprese salad? Use the best ingredients you can find to make this simple salad standout. Using different coloured tomatoes (red, yellow, orange) and you’ll be eating the rainbow and therefore boosting your antioxidant intake. Make sure the tomatoes and mozzarella are at room temperature when you eat them.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
600g tomatoes (perfectly ripe) at room temperature
300g buffalo mozzarella, at room temperature
Handful fresh basil leaves, torn
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into slices, approximately 0.5cm thick. You may find this easier using a serrated knife. A mix of large and cherry tomatoes works best
- Cut the mozzarella into slices approximately 0.5-1cm thick. You can also tear into chunks if you prefer
- Arrange the tomato and mozzarella on a platter, with slices of tomato and mozzarella slightly overlapping each other. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter over the basil and drizzle with olive oil
- To maximise flavour, let the salad stand for 30 minutes so the tomatoes release some of their juices and mix with the olive oil
- Best served within a few hours of making. Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and are best eaten the next day.